This walk begins at the Basilica of Santa Maria a Pugliano, a church that dates back to the 11 century. In 79 AD, Mt. Vesuvius erupted and buried the ancient city of Herculaneum under a 20 m. thick layer of debris. Less than 50 years later, the area became inhabited once again and a new town began to grow. The first record of the name Resina dates back to the 10th century. Resina was the official name of the city until 1969 when the name was officially changed to Ercolano. The Market of Resina began around 1944 when the locals began selling the military uniforms left by the American army. By the 1960’s, the market had become one of the most famous second-hand clothing markets in Italy. The market also became popular with theater and costume designers who would come here to get supplies. New clothes arrive to the shops in bales and it can be a frenzy when the bales are cut open to see if any valuable items were left in the pockets. The vintage clothes are known as “pezze” or “stracci” meaning “pieces” and “tatters.” The market reached its peak in the late 1970s and has been on a decline ever since. In 1980, Ercolano suffered from a major earthquake and many locals abandoned the area. The market has made a slow comeback in recent years and is becoming more popular with tourists.